MMA (Boston)

Anything MMA related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male
Number of posts : 1452
Registration date : 2007-03-29

PostSubject: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 9:29 am

UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra (9-4 MMA, 6-4 UFC) will, in fact, return from a herniated disc to fight interim champ Georges St. Pierre (15-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) in April — at Canada’s first-ever UFC event.

On Friday Serra confirmed the fight with out friend Mike Chiappetta of NBCSports.com.

The title-unification bout will headline the upcoming Canadian show, which is tentatively scheduled for April 19 at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

(www.mmajunkie.com) mentioned the possibility of the Serra-St. Pierre title fight on Tuesday, and two days later, Serra told The Canadian Press that he was definitely willing to take the fight and expected to be healed in time for it.

It now appears to be a done deal.

Serra pulled out of last month’s UFC 79 main event with Matt Hughes because of his recent back injury. With Serra sidelined, the UFC instead booked former champ St. Pierre for the fight — and issued the winner the title of “interim” welterweight champion. St. Pierre, who lost his title when he was upset by Serra in April, scored a second-round submission of Hughes and was awarded the recently created interim belt.

Serra recently voiced his displeasure with the UFC’s decision to award an interim title.

As we previously reported, Canadian middleweight Jason MacDonald says he will also be part of the upcoming event. Additionally, fellow Canadian Jonathan Goulet may also be booked for the show, though his management says nothing has been officially decided.

source: http://mmajunkie.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 9:31 am

Enjoy your last couple of months as champ shrinky dink!
Back to top Go down
boondock_saint_la
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

Male
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 1:38 pm

JoeDaddy wrote:
Enjoy your last couple of months as champ shrinky dink!

I beg to differ. All Serra has to do is BREATHE BREATHE and PICK EM APAT!!!!(yes i know I spelled it wrong, but thats how serra says it) and the fight will be all his...well according to matt serra's one dimensional cornering class 101 that I seen, thats all a good fighter needs to do to win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/boondock_saint_la
DennisN
Top Prospect
Top Prospect

Male
Number of posts : 199

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 6:02 pm

GSP by brutal domination!!! ..although, I think I said that last time too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/quizrox
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 7:20 pm

Funny enough last time I picked Serra! But know I say GSP by complete embarrassment!
Back to top Go down
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion

Number of posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 7:46 pm

gsp to pass silva on the top p4p list IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
boondock_saint_la
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

Male
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 8:02 pm

I wanna talk to sampson wrote:
gsp to pass silva on the top p4p list IMO.

now thats a bold statement. we will know for sure after GSP fights Serra and A silva fights Hendo...Damn I can't wait for that fight. its gonna be amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/boondock_saint_la
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 8:09 pm

well, i just don't see silva fighting many more quality opponents like gsp will. there's no one left!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ

Male
Number of posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 8:11 pm

What about your boy McFedries???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 8:13 pm

he isn't ready for a title shot. i'm hoping he can bounce back from the staph but, it worries me. seems to have a bad omen when fighters fight for the first time after.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ

Male
Number of posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 8:17 pm

That guy has that wildcard ability to flat out KILL somebody with one punch! Look for big things from him in the future!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
I wanna talk to sampson
Champion
Champion

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   Sat 05 Jan 2008, 8:19 pm

oh i know that!!! staph just seems to be a bitch to recover from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre   

Back to top Go down

Matt Serra Confirms April Fight with Georges St. Pierre
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1