MMA (Boston)

Anything MMA related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male
Number of posts : 1452
Registration date : 2007-03-29

PostSubject: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 1:21 pm

Two weeks after Matt Serra shocked a Texas crowd, Gabriel Gonzaga shocked — and silenced — all the world.

Facing MMA legend and top heavyweight contender Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Gonzaga came storming out of the gates, setting the pace for what will surely become one of the most talked-about rounds in the history of mixed-martial arts.

The unthinkable main event capped off Saturday night’s UFC 70 event, which took place at the MEN Arena in Manchester, England.

A little more than a minute into the fight, Gonzaga absorbed a solid kick to the ribs but grabbed Filipovic’s leg and and worked his opponent to the ground. Working from the top in full guard, Gonzaga spent the majority of the round slicing Filipovic with short and effective elbows, opening a deep gash along his hairline. Although Filipovic closed the distance from the bottom, Gonzaga continued to sneak in elbow after elbow.

Referee Herb Dean — perhaps a prematurely — eventually stood up the fighters with just 35 seconds to go.

The next shot to land was a brutal, unblocked and body-collapsing right high leg kick from Gonzaga that instantly dropped Filipovic into a tangled mess.

Stunned silence immediately followed.

The fight happened exactly as most people predicted — but with the fighters’ roles reversed. One of MMA’s most-dangerous strikers and deadliest kickers was delivered a taste of his own medicine.

With four straight UFC wins and a instant-classic kick, Gonzaga has now earned a title shot against current heavyweight champion Randy Couture at UFC 74 in August.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mma-boston.niceboard.com
SiDeWiNdEr
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

Male
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 4:07 pm

Crazy, didn't think that was going to happen, do you think Cro Cop underestimated him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 4:13 pm

Oh yes he looked shocked at his strength! But to tell the truth CC has never done well with someone coming straight at him backing him up!

Thanks for joining by the way nice to have you here!
Back to top Go down
SiDeWiNdEr
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 4:31 pm

Good to finally sign up Joe, I've been lazy I guess. Smile I didn't get to see the fight, my buddy said it looked like Cro Cop busted his ankle on the way down. Have you guys heard anything?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 4:40 pm

Watch both angles of this!
Back to top Go down
SiDeWiNdEr
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 4:48 pm

O my goodness, that was nasty, I just watched the whole thing on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZoaYnQIS64 I can't believe the ref stood them up, Gonzaga put a hurting on Crop Cop with the ground and pound. Gonzaga really never let up the whole time he was on the ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 4:49 pm

this is fro CC after geting of the plave at home.

Only one day after brutal and humiliating KO by Gabriel Gonzaga in Manchester, Mirko Cro Cop came back to Zagreb. Several of his friends, members of the special forces, were waiting for him at the airport. As soon as he got out of the terminal, walking with a limp, reporters gathered around him to hear his opinion on last night's fight, the fifth loss of Mirko's career.

Cro Cop
"The fight went the same way I fought it, I didn't deserve any better", analyzed Mirko and continued: "That's seems to be the cross I'm carrying, I fall down every once in a while, I don't know why. I've been two times through such crisis, against Randleman and I came back, against Fedor and I came back. I'll come back after this again. It's part of my carrer, so I should handle it."
It didn't take long since last night's defeat for speculations to arise whether Gonzaga's hick-kick ended Mirko's career aswell. But to our question whether he'll continue fighting after this Cro Cop answered: "Of, course, I will fullfil the contract, I have 4 more fights to go."
Back to top Go down
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 4:52 pm

Back to top Go down
SiDeWiNdEr
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 4:55 pm

Well not as humble as GSP but still respectable. I'm thinking he will go after Gonzaga again and instead of waiting for an opening, this time he'll make one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 5:05 pm

yes i want to see that rematch! CC comes hungry when he gets beat! I have to run ill be back around later take it easy bro!
Back to top Go down
Seth
Contender
Contender

Male
Number of posts : 223

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Sun 22 Apr 2007, 8:43 pm

If you look at the clip Cro Cop was expecting what bas like to call the liverrrr shot. He didn't think this guy could kick that high or hard.

In the rematch Cro Cop will redefine his old saying: Right Foot Hospital, Left Foot Cemetery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seth
Contender
Contender

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Mon 23 Apr 2007, 12:29 am

JoeDaddy wrote:

Two weeks after Matt Serra shocked a Texas crowd, Gabriel Gonzaga shocked — and silenced — all the world.

Facing MMA legend and top heavyweight contender Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Gonzaga came storming out of the gates, setting the pace for what will surely become one of the most talked-about rounds in the history of mixed-martial arts.

The unthinkable main event capped off Saturday night’s UFC 70 event, which took place at the MEN Arena in Manchester, England.

A little more than a minute into the fight, Gonzaga absorbed a solid kick to the ribs but grabbed Filipovic’s leg and and worked his opponent to the ground. Working from the top in full guard, Gonzaga spent the majority of the round slicing Filipovic with short and effective elbows, opening a deep gash along his hairline. Although Filipovic closed the distance from the bottom, Gonzaga continued to sneak in elbow after elbow.

Referee Herb Dean — perhaps a prematurely — eventually stood up the fighters with just 35 seconds to go.

The next shot to land was a brutal, unblocked and body-collapsing right high leg kick from Gonzaga that instantly dropped Filipovic into a tangled mess.

Stunned silence immediately followed.

The fight happened exactly as most people predicted — but with the fighters’ roles reversed. One of MMA’s most-dangerous strikers and deadliest kickers was delivered a taste of his own medicine.

With four straight UFC wins and a instant-classic kick, Gonzaga has now earned a title shot against current heavyweight champion Randy Couture at UFC 74 in August.

I swear they were stood up becaue it was assumed that Cro Cop would have finished the fight if he was standing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Mon 23 Apr 2007, 2:14 pm

you are right about that!
Back to top Go down
maurisanv
Noob
Noob

Female
Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Mon 23 Apr 2007, 8:18 pm

Here is a bulletin put by the Cro Cop Team on myspace:

Mirko arrived to his hometown today, he was limping a bit. He said: I deserved that loss because of the way i was fighting. I fall down every now and then, i was twice in this situation, after Randleman and after Fedor and i got back up again, i will be back this time too, that is a part of my career. I have 4 more fights to come and i will do them all.

http://www.vecernji.hr/newsroom/sports/more/789437/index.do

Q: Do you feel any health consequences from Manchester episode?
A: I don't have headaches, nor any visible consequences from Gonzaga's high-kick. If it weren't for the pain in the right ankle, I'd already be training. However, I have to passively rest for two weeks. The ankle is swollen, but I don't think anything is broken, otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk. Still, I'll go to see a doctor one of these days and have it scanned."

Q: You seemed absent in the cage?
A: I wasn't myself against Gonzaga. I just couldn't decide to begin an exchange of punches, to go forward. Something similar happened to me in my last fight vs. Sanchez, but I still won that fight. These things happen to me in cycles. First I learn a lesson in the ring, then I go wild and win in streaks. However, there are no alibies for this defeat, and I am not looking for any.

Q: What determined the outcome?
A: Gonzaga's elbows to my temple. When I got up, my vision was blurry and I didn't even see that right high-kick.

Q: Did you make any mistakes in the preparation for the fight?
A: The preparations were great and are not the problem. Right before the fight I was apathetic, no good, couldn't focus and I fought without any strategy.

Q: What will your future in the UFC look like?
A: I will definitely come back stronger. It's out of place to talk about the belt, but I will respect the contract. Of course, provided there are no new injuries. However, I don't know what could make me fight more after I work off the remaining 4 fights.

Q: When can we expect you back in the ring?
A: I believe I'll fight again in the UFC at the end of August or beginning of September. I expect to get a chance to rematch Gonzaga. Thanks to everyone who came to Manchester for me, and all who called me wishing me good luck. I got more than 200 calls and I couldn't answer everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Tue 24 Apr 2007, 2:15 pm

maurisanv wrote:
Here is a bulletin put by the Cro Cop Team on myspace:

Mirko arrived to his hometown today, he was limping a bit. He said: I deserved that loss because of the way i was fighting. I fall down every now and then, i was twice in this situation, after Randleman and after Fedor and i got back up again, i will be back this time too, that is a part of my career. I have 4 more fights to come and i will do them all.

http://www.vecernji.hr/newsroom/sports/more/789437/index.do

Q: Do you feel any health consequences from Manchester episode?
A: I don't have headaches, nor any visible consequences from Gonzaga's high-kick. If it weren't for the pain in the right ankle, I'd already be training. However, I have to passively rest for two weeks. The ankle is swollen, but I don't think anything is broken, otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk. Still, I'll go to see a doctor one of these days and have it scanned."

Q: You seemed absent in the cage?
A: I wasn't myself against Gonzaga. I just couldn't decide to begin an exchange of punches, to go forward. Something similar happened to me in my last fight vs. Sanchez, but I still won that fight. These things happen to me in cycles. First I learn a lesson in the ring, then I go wild and win in streaks. However, there are no alibies for this defeat, and I am not looking for any.

Q: What determined the outcome?
A: Gonzaga's elbows to my temple. When I got up, my vision was blurry and I didn't even see that right high-kick.

Q: Did you make any mistakes in the preparation for the fight?
A: The preparations were great and are not the problem. Right before the fight I was apathetic, no good, couldn't focus and I fought without any strategy.

Q: What will your future in the UFC look like?
A: I will definitely come back stronger. It's out of place to talk about the belt, but I will respect the contract. Of course, provided there are no new injuries. However, I don't know what could make me fight more after I work off the remaining 4 fights.

Q: When can we expect you back in the ring?
A: I believe I'll fight again in the UFC at the end of August or beginning of September. I expect to get a chance to rematch Gonzaga. Thanks to everyone who came to Manchester for me, and all who called me wishing me good luck. I got more than 200 calls and I couldn't answer everyone.

this is great good find!
Back to top Go down
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ

Male
Number of posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Tue 24 Apr 2007, 7:50 pm

Looks like Jdiddy has a "NEW HORSE", slide over Iceman, Gonzaga is in da building-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seth
Contender
Contender

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Tue 24 Apr 2007, 7:58 pm

Scientists have discoverd the truth behind Cro Cop's loss:
"Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic kicked Gonzaga in the head so hard he warped space and time, causing the two of them to switch places at the point of impact. Thus Mirko knocked himself out."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy
Defending Champ
Defending Champ

Male
Number of posts : 744

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Tue 24 Apr 2007, 8:06 pm

I'm not sure if you are a Star Trek guy or a Back to the Future guy??? LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seth
Contender
Contender

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Tue 24 Apr 2007, 8:14 pm

I prefer Star Trek over back to the future
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Wed 25 Apr 2007, 1:53 am

Back to top Go down
Seth
Contender
Contender

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Wed 25 Apr 2007, 1:54 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Wed 25 Apr 2007, 1:55 am

I have had better Halloween costumes...LMAO
Back to top Go down
Seth
Contender
Contender

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Wed 25 Apr 2007, 1:59 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeDaddy
Undisputed Champ!
Undisputed Champ!

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Wed 25 Apr 2007, 2:02 am

All i can think about is cable guy that scene is priceless!

Wow you really are a
Trekkie!!!!
Back to top Go down
Seth
Contender
Contender

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   Wed 25 Apr 2007, 2:06 am

I don't go dressing up like them or any of that strange shit but I do really like Star Trek....Only the Original and the Next Generation
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Gonzaga Silences the World   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next